· News

More than a third of working Britons hold multiple jobs

More than a third (37%) of Britons now have two or more jobs, according to a survey from VoucherCodesPro.co.uk

A total of 2,831 British full-time workers were quizzed on their jobs, work ethic and financial status. While the majority (63%) said they held one job, the remaining 37% worked at least two.

The top reasons for holding multiple jobs were to support a family (29%), clear debts (23%), pay for a child’s education (20%), fund a holiday (14%) and to pay the rent or mortgage (9%). Respondents aged 35 to 45 were the most likely to work more than one job (56%), followed by those aged 18 to 25 (32%).

The survey also found that those with more than one job had an average working day of 14-and-a-half hours.

The area with the most people working more than one job was the North West, where 13% hold multiple roles. Scotland and the North East both had 9%, the South West had 7% and Wales had 5%.

George Charles, marketing director for VoucherCodesPro.co.uk, described the findings as “a shame”. “Unfortunately the reality of the economic and social situation that Britain finds itself in means that a number of Britons are forced to work more than one job,” he said. “It’s a shame because it means that people are working long days and can run themselves into the ground.

“It is, though, the reality of today. Times are tough and families need to do everything they can to ensure they have enough money to support themselves and pay every financial commitment,” he added.