What makes a great leader?
?As the US Election draws to a close and votes continue to be counted in what has been a tumultuous campaign, HR magazine looks through the archive of what makes a great leader both in the UK and overseas.
- More diverse teams are consistently shown to perform better, and that includes having a diversity of leaders too. HR director at Sodexo Engage Emma Yearwood looks at how businesses can ensure diversity through leadership.
- Leadership also means creating direction in challenging circumstances and embracing uncertainty. ACCA’s Julia Hotchkiss shares her insight for what leadership means in testing times.
- CEO of Stockport Homes Helen McHale won the Most people-focused CEO at last year’s HR Excellence Awards. Here, we find out how her consistent support, openness and integrity has led to real change within her employees.
- Doctor turned author Adam Kay tells HR magazine about the unique challenges facing NHS staff and their employers offering some solutions.
- In the UK, prime minister Boris Johnson’s leadership throughout the coronavirus pandemic has been strongly scrutinised by the press. Critics have accused him of mixed messaging, an omission of key data sets and a culture of uncertainty. Do UK leaders need a more positive approach to open door policies?
- Johnson’s cabinet has also been put under pressure, with accusations of bullying and belittling staff across Whitehall. Here’s what leaders and HR can learn observing a toxic environment.
- Good leadership is also about planning, according to ex HRD of Direct Line Group Simon Linares. Here he details what qualities are fit for a 21st Century leader.
- Throughout the pandemic, countries with female leaders have been lauded for their response. June’s Hot Topic looked at the qualities that made their actions to effective.