Latest comments

"Work made fun gets done" sums up the preconditions of an engaged workforce, says David Fairhurst

Jo Saies says:

I had a wierd feeling of deja vu reading this. I worked for ASDA (Australian Sports Drug Agency) here in Australia for nearly 10 years. Completely unrelated organisation, but the most engaging workplace ive ever worked in. We also felt like a family, and fun and buzz were very high on the cultural agenda, even though we all respected the fact we were charged with doing very serious work. Pity engagement at our ASDA plumetted drastically with a new CEO, new values and new culture.

NHS Employers: "Unnecessary" 1% staff pay rise will cost NHS £500 million

Struggling Worker says:

I am a band 3 NHS worker in Suffolk. I am struggling to keep afloat. I am very careful with money but I am now at a point where I am cutting back on food. I don't go out as I have nothing left over for recreation. I can't afford my own home. I can't afford to visit my family who live out West. I have not had a holiday for nearly 3 years. The problem is that overheads for even the basic lifestyle are just too damned high. I love my job but I am getting desperate. 1%...what a More...

Recruitment process outsourcing: recruiting the recruiter

www.equuleusinc.com says:

Indeed a very informative post regarding RPO :) Mark www.equuleusinc.com +44-203-289-5777 | +1-347-482-1777 | +91-6616-8801

HR director NHS Trust: HR still approaches gender equalities by "taking one-step forward and two back"

Tina says:

At last a sensible statement that offers a workable solution to what can only be described as an historic and outdated problem. I read with horror the views of Yahoo and applaude this response. From a professional manager with a small child I often work at home late into the night, however still if I asked to work from home during 'office hours' I frequently receive raised eyebrows. I am at my most productive when I am not stressed by the time pressures of breakfast clubs and after school clubs. Wake up employers everywhere!

HR needs to remove the leadership pipeline to change its approach to talent management, says leading HR thinker

John Knights, LeaderShape says:

While I agree with David Clutterbuck's insightful and valuable comments on the leadership pipeline , I believe there is a much more fundamental issue that needs to be addressed urgently. We are defining talent (that is future organisational leaders) incorrectly. We are looking for the wrong characteristics in the first place. Just think, who are the people who generally get to the top? Although there are many great exceptions to the rule - thankfully, in general the people who reach the top of organisations are NOT good leaders in my experience. That is because we choose people who are good More...

Identifying skills and poor interview technique are greatest challenges for young jobseekers, report finds

Signet Resources says:

Really interesting read – we’ve put together some common interview questions and answers which will hopefully help young job searchers tweak their interview technique: http://www.signetresources.co.uk/blog/signet-news/signet-resources-interview-tips-examples-of-perfect-answers-and-questions/

Criminal record checks to be relaxed

Henry Noteman says:

Based on the article, the revision would apply to enhanced lavel CRB checks. Anyone know if it applied to other lower levels?

Hospitality and tourism employers should focus on staff retention to improve productivity, says report

Andrea Stewart says:

An interesting piece. But training and development cannot be the whole answer. Retention is to some extent reflective of the recognition of performance and contribution – and providing a fair return for effort (ie pay and reward). Knowing the what role is worth in the market (via salary and remuneration surveys) and the relative value internally, will give hospitality businesses the information they need. Salary Surveys - www.mhr-global.co.uk

Nick Clegg to propose tax-breaks for employee-owned firms

Jon Ingham, Strategic HCM says:

Readers may be interested in this podcast on employee ownership and engagement - with the EOA: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/engage-for-success/2013/03/11/show-12-engagement-and-employee-ownership-1

Expectant mothers plan to take shortened maternity leave due to money worries

Graham White says:

This is a very sad article that keeps repeating itself like a broken record. As a reflection on our profession we have to ask why we keep getting this so wrong. The availability and breadth of technology, 24/7 working and personalise contracting only accentuate our failure to finally resolve this. The future for our working mums is only limited by the failure of HR and line managers to think a little further than the end of their nose. Having worked in organisations as varied as retail, banking, manufacturing and the public sector I have always seen the value of supporting More...

NHS Employers determined to drive forward cultural change following Mid-Staffordshire inquiry

Tim Parry says:

Yet more hot air and no substance I watched Nicholson and Royles being shredded at PAC over the failure to achieve productivity gains from the implementation of the consultant contract Words are fine doing something is a different story Perhaps a real cultural change would be to get rid of NHS Employers and let Trust run their own affairs

Dr David Hill says:

In the 1980s I worked for a large health authority at their group headquarters. Being a lowly doer and not a teller, I was witness to many excesses and downright fraudulent activities. Many of the top managers got paid under false pretences and where they did not arrive at work at the allotted 9am as they should, but more generally around 10am. My boss had constantly in his car’s boot where all could see through the car window his extensive and expensive bag of golf clubs. We had two staff dining rooms, one for the lowly health officers and one More...

Dealing with substance misuse in the workplace

Catherine Mackay says:

Spot on last post:signs/symptomatology can include cognitive impairment=confusion/sudden mood changes/unusual irritability/aggression/abnormal fluctuations in concentration/energy;impaired job performance;poor time-keeping;increased short-term sickness absence;deteriorating relationships with colleagues/customers/management;dishonesty and theft (arising from the need to maintain an expensive habit)and so on. Management early intervention with appropriate tools can reduce risks to both employee population and business. (All the signs shown above may be caused by other factors, such as stress, and should be regarded only as indications that an employee may be misusing drugs.) HSE website.

Facing up to Economic Turbulence: When Training Your Trainers Really Counts

Target Training Associates says:

Thanks for a great post Mike. We often find that talented managers end up being selected to provide ad-hoc and / or formal training for their teams. Unfortunately with no actual training in delivering that training these managers do not make as big an impact as they can, and results fall short of expectations. Confident managers can actually wilt when asked to perform training, because they have not been adequately prepared for it. As you point out, the antidote for this is a "Train The Trainer" course. We have written a handy buyers guide to selecting a Train The Trainer More...

Lucy standing says:

In 1997 the average number of jobs someone dud by the time they reached the age of 38 was between 4-5. As of 2012 it was between 13-14. (Us dept labour stats). In a world of free information, easier access to learning, free job boards, websites that suggest new employers to you - the talented know what they want to get where they want to go. They move to get the expertise they need. HR no longer manage - they should be focusing on providing solutions to facilitate what people want. I predict more focus on career development programmes which More...

Dealing with substance misuse in the workplace

Peter Marno says:

The biggest challenge not addressed in this article is the identification of those with a 'problem'. No one picks up a glass and says "I want to become an alcoholic" nor does anyone believe they will become addicted to drugs if they take them recreationally. Those who become addicted tend to deny that they have a problem and manipulate all and sundry into thinking that the problem lies elsewhere. Critical to managing this large and undoubted problem is to have appropriate 'tools' to identify and manage a situation as and when it arises. Leaving it will never solve the problem More...

Aspiring nurses face "hands-on" training before they can start work

Cliff Bloomfield says:

Hands on training for aspiring nurses seems logical and by extension a similar, possibly shorter, programme for managers. How can one manage any business without a real understanding of how the business operates.

Sheila Hirst says:

At the moment the rhetoric is admirable, but only when staff get a chance to discuss with their managers what the values actually mean to them and the challenges and conflicts they may have in putting them into practice - and until the managers listen and support them in doing something about the challenges - nothing will actually change.

Angela O'Connor says:

If HR teams in the NHS want to be sure that they are not in the same position as Staffordshire they will need to ensure that front line delivery of services really work. When was the last time HR staff were on a night shift measuring how long it takes for night staff to respond to vulnerable patients. Only when HR check the quality of delivery where it really counts can they be sure they are adding value.

Tony Nelson says:

The NHS culture will not change without an injection of new thinking - recruiting talented leaders from outside the NHS and Civil Service pools it always uses. It has an inward -looking focus as an organisation with home-grown managers skilled in navigating continual re-organisations. Doing the same old things with the same old people will produce the same old results.

In this issue: April 2014
fragment image

Legal aliens: It's law, but not as we know it - would you seek counsel from a big brand?

Fashion forward: SuperGroup's first HRD

Time to celebrate: Flexible working legislation is changing

Health check: Engaging in wellbeing