Latest comments

Research project: Is the employee survey dead?

Simon Brown says:

If it is, then building research in flash like this one is isn't a very good start.

Steve Webb: Older workers key to plugging skills gap

Amy A. says:

I wrote about this topic: http://www.the-broad-side.com/will-my-ice-floe-have-starbucks-and-wi-fi, and your readers may be interested to read it.

Workers 'turned-off' by employee shareholder contracts, say employment lawyers

Hugh Tonks says:

Well, I'll give up my rights for £50K worth of shares which I can sell immediately - nothing less.

Research project: Is the employee survey dead?

Michael Silverman says:

Steve - research capabilities have evolved, but the practices inside organisations haven’t – trust me, I deal with it on a daily basis. You’re in a small minority if your company is blazing a trail in this area – lucky you! How many people reading this have heard of Roambi or Confirmit? You clearly know your stuff, I hope you’ve contributed to the research. A report of the findings will be freely available at the end of the October. The project will also be supplemented by interviews with the top authors and case studies of organisations that are doing innovative More...

Research project: Is the employee survey dead?

Steven Thomas says:

Agreed that research needed to evolve and it has. We clients want to retain the best elements of traditional surveys AND use the best that EFM, real-time survey solutions, Hay daily feedback model, Yammer social networks, Roambi, Confirmit instant feedback, etc. etc. etc. have to offer. As a client myself, what is not needed is this stream of 'it's game over' puff pieces which (what are the chances!) link to a magical solution! ST

Steve Webb: Older workers key to plugging skills gap

Tom Toher says:

It would help a great deal if the government showed a proper commitment to enforcing laws against age discrimination instead of actively making it harder for workeres to defend themselves against this widespread problem by making it more difficult to take a claim to a tribunal. A classic case of fine words buttering no parsnips.

Upwards bullying in the workplace

Maz says:

I am an HR Manager who often has to tread the fine line between supporting the manager and the member of staff and protect the organisation in these situations. Just as there are managers who lack skills (it takes years to acquire them - you cant just read them from a book), there are equally staff who have a superior attitude and sense of entitlement and possess a 'you can't touch me' attitude and they endeavour to use the bullying card to their advantage. As anyone with half a brain knows, there are always two sides to every situation and More...

Employers must adapt global mobility strategies as millennials shun emerging markets, study warns

Chris Pardo says:

It would seem that maybe those millennials that are willing to take on an international assignment (and there are a lot of them per the article - 2/3rds of all millennials want an overseas assignment) in an emerging location have the greatest opportunity with companies. As assignment lengths drop, maybe a slight sacrifice related to location sets that willing millennial apart from the rest.

Former Thomson Reuters CHRO Stephen Dando to join Bain Capital as operating partner

Sugiarto Setiabudi says:

The most remarkable achievement Steven Dando at Thomson Reuters is successfully in integrating Corporate Malfeasance from Reuters to the Thomson Reuters. Probably, he is utter lack of knowledge about "Corporate Malfeasance'

Nine in ten Brits work in non-business hours, survey finds

GRH says:

the other non-productive-non-work-related time such as Facebook, Twitter, online shopping,personal emails, personal banking uploading photos using the company bandwidth, looking 'busy' whilst doing other personal work or just not working and playing/texting with mobile devices. Then there are long breaks, walking around with a sheet of paper, fag breaks, gossiping to name but a few. I am sure I have missed some here so feel free to add.

John Lewis staff to receive £40 million after holiday pay mistake

Karen says:

Hi does anyone know if ex employees will be included in the pay out? If so do we have to apply or do we get an automatic payout?

Nurses, accountants and rail workers among the ‘least proud’, study finds

SJ says:

Asking if you're proud of your profession is very different from asking if you're proud of your role and performance. Taking nurses as an example, recent press would make it exceptionally difficult to argue unilaterally that they're proud of their profession; however, the nurses (and medical staff) that I know personally are, without exception, totally professional and wholeheartedly committed to their work and should be exceptionally proud of what they do every day. Sadly not all individuals can be relied upon to be 'good people' and there's surely a long and complex argument to be had as to how 'the More...

Organisations to change HR structure in 2013-14, says research

Nancy Smith says:

I don't think companies are planning to limit the scope of their vital functions. I think what the article is pointing out is the fact that this is the year they are going to finally chug forth and make the changes - be they in keeping up with technology or in adding newly established disciplines - that they have been holding back on for the last few years. There has been. There has been a significant uptick in HR job openings here in the U.S. just in the last month or so, a definite sign that companies are willing to More...

Organisations to change HR structure in 2013-14, says research

Jon Ingham, Strategic HCM says:

Process redesign, technology, structure change - can all make significant differences to HR's contribution, though I'd suggest structure should generally come after these other changes. But what about the capabilities of the retained HR function - business partnering, psychology and social media skills for example? HR's hope of making greater strategic contributions to the business are likely to be dashed without these.

Intern’s death leads to calls for banking culture change

Keith Appleyard says:

When I was working in the Financial Services Industry (for 25 years), for some 10 of that I was on call 24x7. I unilaterally adopted the guidelines of the EU Working Hours Directive and ensured all my staff got an overnight break of 10 hours at their home (ie travelling time is not rest time). I didn't always manage it myself, and we always worked more like 60 hours than 48 hours, but to compensate I ensured I never worked on any transatlantic flight, using that as rest time.

Intern’s death leads to calls for banking culture change

Seshagiri Rao K says:

Profit making and profit oriented business are welcome, but not at the cost of the irreplaceable - people's lives. Let us take a better look at the cost-benefit analysis and our priorities.

Employment in the private sector reaches record high

JB says:

How much of this increase in jobs in the private sector is made up of those with a high level skill or experience who were a victim of redundancy and hence had to move into any kind of job to make ends meat? I know of quite a few people who were in reasonably highly paid jobs and made redundant, who have taken on multiple jobs in supermarkets/bars/call cent res to stay afloat. Some are using it as a stop gap they hope, but some can' t see a way out. I'd like to see the statistics broken down into More...

Intern’s death leads to calls for banking culture change

Sunila Lobo says:

The question, John McIvor, is what actual support did Erhardt get at the bank? Who was his mentor- how many times did they meet- what was exchanged etc. Please do be specific.

Deferring state pension could cost workers £6,000, study finds

GRH says:

are not raiding the pensions pot before you get it they are raiding it after; the whole thing is sick. These people that make these decisions can do so easily because they are very rich and it won't matter a tinkers cuss to them, so long as they are all-right-jack. But it is all part of the Agenda 21 / New World Order scheme to drip feed in these changes so that by the time you reach them they are de-facto and you are either dead or have forgotten what they should have been and so just go along with More...

Intern’s death leads to calls for banking culture change

GRH says:

anyway; we just chase our tails most times making money to buy trinkets and gadgets to say look at me I have made it. In the end, what have we actually achieved? Nothing. we burn ourselves out for a heartless corporation thinking we are 'making it' in life and we measure success by what we have accumulated. But really when we see the hoax it is too late and we die; swept out of the way by the machine to make way for the 'people' following us, so they can do just the same. We will never learn. Oh well, More...

In this issue: September 2014
fragment image

Model Leaders – What kind of leaders do we need now? Find out in this special issue

Breaking the Silence – Lucy Adams and the BBC

Take it to the bank – HR in charge as TSB branches off

Save us all – Do collective pension schemes work?

MA Business & Leisure Limited © Copyright 2014, All Rights Reserved