Latest comments

Businesses must encourage students to embrace STEM subjects, says Tata Consultancy HRD

Trisha Goring says:

Thanks Ian You aren't the only person with no idea what "STEM" is. I had no idea where to look to find out! In an age where communication is vital, perhaps we need to get back to basics before we spend time on technology.

Ian Crocker says:

I do hope that I wasn't the only person to have to look up STEM. To save you looking it's Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics.

HR's Most Influential to be unveiled tonight

Chris Ball says:

With great respect to past winners of this accolade, I am wondering how HR Magazine judges such an intangible thing as influence. I appreciate that HR Magazine's own readership is significant and that you are followed by some 5,000 people on twitter but I also see that you follow a mere 4 people. Clearly you have no interest in what the rest of us are saying and doing on this most modern of all influencing media.

One bad apple doesn’t rot HR barrel

damian samuels says:

Arvand Hickman states 'there is some truth in HR having an image/credibility problem and the prolonged battle to be relevant. In the September HR magazine Neil Morrison tells Katie Jacobs why he wants to make HR 'sexier' and that is his mission in life. I cringed and winced when I read this. because I think it does nothing to enhance the profession No wonder image and credibility are in question

HR Talks 2013: 50 top tips in a day

roopal says:

I am Student and I want to know HR tools, any tool which is not implemented in any organisation or company ..

BBC HR director Lucy Adams steps down

Emma says:

Not sure whether this is a bigger deal for 'HR' or the BBC. Either way, this lady may as well join the 'Fred The Shred' convalescence home right now rather than next April. The root of this problem was not dealing correctly with failing fat cats and the lesson has yet to be learnt.

One bad apple doesn’t rot HR barrel

Elmore says:

None of us were 'there', so in that sense none of us can really pass comment, good or bad, with any authority on what Lucy Adams should or shouldn't have done. But I think we (I) can. I've worked in organisations where the culture, and my own sense of (my lack of) personal choice, limited me from doing things that on much reflection - now that I've left that world behind - I wish I'd done differently. I hope/am sure that Adams now deeply regrets that she condoned the actions that she took, and presided over, as the BBC's HRD. More...

Employers failing to use experience and skills of older workers

Paul says:

As an ex- employer look at the positive side of employing older people; very little training as experience will be evident. Most older people are more dedicated, loyal and hard working. The majority have little family commitments as children have grown up and left home. Some older people need to work because they have mortgages to pay. Some simply want to continue to work because they enjoy it and don't want to 'be bored' at home. There are many good points for an employer, employing older people - you can still be dynamic, proactive and an asset to the business, More...

Generational tensions: The ageing workforce vs. Generation Y

Dorothy Smith says:

The tensions can be addressed partially internally, by HR functions ensuring that employees are supported with new technologies, so they can share their expertise of business through the new media. As an over 50 HR professional, looking for employment, the assumptions of some recruiters that I might be 'winding down' is amazing, given the publicity around new retirement dates. They too can do a lot to promote a more positive vibe around what is becoming the new middle age.

Generational tensions: The ageing workforce vs. Generation Y

Neil Pickering says:

The valid comments by Donna highlight the complexity of managing a modern workforce. Whether it's meeting the needs of our Gen Y workers or performing succession planning for our Baby Boomers the work has to be done. This is why HR, Talent Management and Workforce Management solutions have such a vital role to play in our modern organisations.

One bad apple doesn’t rot HR barrel

Arvind Hickman says:

If you read my comment piece again you will see that my main point is to question whether HR should hold the reins on pay/reward and, if not, how they can influence better outcomes. The example of RBS is merely to show that the BBC case is by no means unique (for a publicly-backed company), but has wasted way too many column inches. And, why should it matter that taxpayers’ fund it? So poor practice is OK if you are in the private sector, but not OK if you are public? I would like to see anyone say that at More...

One bad apple doesn’t rot HR barrel

C.Markin says:

I agree with some of the points here but I think the reason people are pointing their finger at Adams is because it's tax-payer funded organisation. Your one example of RBS doesn't wash here – the organisation, with HR very much at the centre of it, made some truly horrifying mistakes and has tarnished the industry. Your claims of 'BBC bashing' are simply spurious, I think when an HR director (one by all accounts was doing a fantastic job) gives the green light on a deal that allows a director to walk away with nearly £1 million, she and her More...

Royal Mail privatisation: employees to receive free shares worth up to £2,000

GRH says:

I don't think that there is anything left to sell of now is there - of the family silver as it was called? Unfortunately people are short-term-minded and eager to crab the cash and run. The idea of a social mind-set whereby everything that is essential for living - gas, electricity, coal, transport, health should be owned by all the people and any profits made ploughed back in, does not come into conscious being. All those 'shares' that were sold to people who already had paid have reaped what? Higher and higher prices for less and less service. Fat cats More...

One bad apple doesn’t rot HR barrel

Arvind Hickman says:

Whenever you consume news/media/comment, whether it is in print or online, the political context/agenda is relevant. The coverage of this issue will vary from the Indy to the Sun. Conservative newspapers love BBC bashing, as if somehow that organisation should have a vastly superior culture to other organisations because it is taxpayer funded. That it is published in the Daily Telegraph makes it no less important than if it were published elsewhere, but you need to consider the agenda and purpose of what is being written. I apologise if this reference has offended, but to not consider it in the More...

One bad apple doesn’t rot HR barrel

Nick Prideaux says:

The original article in the Telegraph is simplistic and puerile in its tone. But the writer on HRMagazine does not help the discussion with his perjorative "right wing press", as if because the criticism emanates from one part of the political spectru it is somehow of less value. Smacks of immature student politics banter. Surely we can have a more baanced and less defensive debate?

Recruitment process outsourcing: recruiting the recruiter

rpo solutions says:

First of all I must say about the image is too good the u have places in heading.Your imaging is describing all your blog. Just loved the image it is describing that you are having many candidates for the job but you can select best form them.

One bad apple doesn’t rot HR barrel

David Gordon says:

The solution is to empower the Senior HR Manager in an organisation within a Remuneration Committe that has real teeth. The structure needs to be arranged so that the Committee can say NO and that the HR professional can genuinely inform that decision. Too often the Chief Executive makes his demands and those of the Senior team all too clear and the non-Executive Board is not able or prepared to stand up to him/her/them.

Royal Mail privatisation plans will lead to 'disengaged' workforce, says Labour MP

Steve Skinner says:

On the one hand we're told Royal Mail is at a disadvantage because of the growth of email and drop in letters. On the other we're told Royal Mail is benefitting from the growth in parcels and packets business due to the impact of the internet. It's in profit and business is up. In that case why float it. Is it a sound business case or, more likely, an ideological decision? The suggestion that private is good and public is bad is nonsense. It's how the business is managed that counts.

One bad apple doesn’t rot HR barrel

Andy M Turner says:

Lucy Adams appears to be the scapegoat in this saga and watching an TV extract of her in front of all those old-white male establishment figures left me feeling nothing but sympathy for her. As in previous sessions, this struck me as yet another huge grandstanding opportunity for Margaret Hodge and her PAC. If they are genuinely interested in taxpayers getting value for money, they should turn their focus inward and look at their own HR policies: how many MPs employ close relatives as PAs and office managers, netting themselves a tidy extra salary as a result? How many of More...

One bad apple doesn’t rot HR barrel

Tim Baker says:

Louisa's article in the Telegraph is laughable and written purely to provoke a reaction. It is not based in fact and provides no evidence to back up any of its claims. It's the sort of thing I would expect to read in an online blog and I think that's probably the tone of the article. I've heard Lucy Adams speak in a conference and she was impressive and commercial and I do not remember her using any jargon at all. I'm sure she'll find another big HRD role once all the dust settles.

In this issue: October 2014
fragment image

Grow influence: Who has made the HR Most Influential 2014 lists? We reveal all inside

Looking good: Beautiful HR at Estee Lauder

Back to the drawing board: Is HR more art than science?

Forward thinking: Futureproof your technology strategy

MA Business & Leisure Limited © Copyright 2014, All Rights Reserved