Latest comments

McDonald's VP HR defends use of zero-hours contracts

Carolyne thomson says:

My son works for mcdonalds. He repeatedly asks for his contract but is still waiting. He doesn't understand his holidays, or holiday pay. Its his first job. I don't understand what he tells me his manager tells him. There is no underlying reason for him wanting a contract which is his legal right. But instead he has to keep looking silly coz he needs to keep asking, and still doesn't understand. Shocking from one of our biggest employers. He loves his job but hates feeling inferior for asking for what is a legal right. Mcdonalds sort this out please. Thanks. More...

BCC says education must focus on "employability skills"

Eoghan Mortell says:

Last two comments worryingly out of touch, given the growing global competition we face. If it's not skill and the ability to create goods and services of value, then what exactly is it that will give our children the standard of living that we've come to take for granted in this part of the world.

Connecting with Generation Y

PETER COPPING says:

From time to time I find out what I can about Gen Y people on the web. The other day i looked at a early 20's Chinese guy probably a post grad student. I had some of his social media connections. He had been based in Shanghai, but had traveled a bit to Fujan. Tiajin and was given to going places for the weekend no doubt on the new HST's. He had a lot of photos on Flickr, many architectural. I needed more info but he seemed a promising adventurous Y person. So how would I attract a person like More...

BCC says education must focus on "employability skills"

Peter Copping says:

I support Brians comment but to help everybody here is a suggestion. BCC is not a poor organisation. Let it produce a syllabus and teacher student support for the National Curriculum at each level including GCSE for employment skills, and put resources where its mouth is. Incidentally the intention was/is part of the Every Child Counts initiative. Maybe SME bosses should get trained as school governors!

Women face retirement shortfall of £8k a year

Peter Copping says:

What the girls are asking for is the current female median income when they retire. A lot can happen before then, but let FP show a worked example of how a 25yo women would get this for a retirement age of 75 which I would expect it to be by them.

Is there always something to moan about?

Angela Baron says:

Of course there's always something to moan about work is a social event and there's nothing better to socialise over than a good moan. Great article. Emphasises that cool culture in itself does not build engagement. Employers have to really understand their employees to get it right. Theres no off the shelf solution and all the bits of the jig saw need to fit together.

BCC says education must focus on "employability skills"

Brian Wilson says:

I have three children under the age of five. I do not want them to go to school to be 'trained' to work. Schooling should be about providing opportunities to explore new things and opening up the mind to question the world they live in. If employers want employees with 'employability skills' (whatever that may mean)then get on with investing in their staff.

Unison bids to overturn employment tribunal fees

British Gas Employee says:

Unison what can i say if you spent more time training your reps and getting them out of the pocket of the employer and actually helping your members. I was unlawfully discriminated against with my disability which i had my employer nailed to the floor and everyone knew it. What did my union do? They wouldnt act in my intrests and finally getting a result that would not only benefit myself but other with a disability. My unison rep ignored me for long periods of time had secret meetings with HR department now weare 4 days away from running out More...

Trust deficit threatening economic recovery, CIPD report warns

Sanjay Verma says:

The report of the survey is an eye-opener.I think if we analyse organisations l growth today,then trust becomes a key issue.Generally,when the leadership is weak,uninspiring and unethical,the trust level is the lowest.Good leadership creates transparent communication systems which engage the employees,and make them empowered,If organisation does not have a set of values,then it is difficult to evoke trust.I look forward to see the results of similar type of surveys in Indian organisations. Sanjay Verma www.trust-is-the-key-sanjay-verma.blogpot.im

Is there always something to moan about?

Nick Fewings says:

Great article Helen. It's a fascinating topic and one I often hear brought up when I work with leadership teams when the results of the staff survey are announced. A lot of staff use this tool as an opportunity to have a pop at things they are unhappy with as their feedback remains anonymous. People will moan if their views and opinions have not been addressed or replied to in the past. Leaders need to respond to critical feedback even if it is to explain why an issue raised cannot be addressed to the satisfaction of the person who raised More...

Unemployed young people suffering mental health problems, says study

Jason Perry says:

Totally agree with the above 2 comments especially about the travel element. Young people can't expect there to be work everywhere in the country. If you live in Luton as an example and can't find work then move into London, get a cheap houseshare like many people have to. Of course the education system has failed them but they can't look back. Charity's like The Prince's Trust are excellent but young people need to take initiative as well. And unfortunately as we enter recovery firms will only be picking the brightest and best which includes those from overseas

CIPD's Valuing your Talent project gets mixed reception

Meg Peppin says:

Using accounting methods will just give more of the same. Value, cost, return - all have concrete and measurable properties on which we have plenty of data, and all have deeper and qualitative properties. It'll be another system to sell, but you won't change the mindsets.

Building resilience among workers in the economic upturn

Lucy says:

Interesting article but disappointing that the terminology is so negative....calling resilience a HR fad de-values this vital topic. It also shouldn't be the sole responsibility of HR - we all own it. Resilience is not a new topic - it is part of wellbeing - arguably the principal driver of personal wellbeing. The fact that we are now talking about it openly is a reflection of the glaring realisation by organisations that if we don't build personal, team and organisation resilience, UK Plc will never be able to respond to the exciting opportunities that arise from a post-recession economy. Better More...

Unemployed young people suffering mental health problems, says study

Steve Milner says:

I too cannot reconcile young people claiming there are no jobs with the jobs which apparently attract people from overseas. OK - I accept that there may be no jobs locally, but if people can travel from abroad to work, natives can surely travel around the country? I worked at a depot in Lutterworth this year where - purely by looking at the names on the staff rota - 50% were from overseas. 100s of them! Mental health problems? The whole issue certainly does MY head in!!!

Unemployed young people suffering mental health problems, says study

Ian81156 says:

There are a number of issues here. I have a relative who is in this group, who is unemployed and has self-harmed. However, she has had opportunity to study and work but has not taken full use of those opportunities because they are too much like hard work. Life has become far too easy and the work ethic does not exist for many, some are unwilling to accept lower paid jobs or do jobs they believe are below themselves, which is why many of those jobs are taken by people from other countries. I am sure that raising retirement levels More...

The Christmas nightmare: A manager’s guide

Tom Marlborough says:

Thank heavens you had the common sense to at least change all the names to protect our identities. How is the leg these days when the weather turns damp?

HR should encourage ethical leadership, says Ian Muir

Andrew Campbell says:

This is an important topic. Nice to see a business school and a practitioner get together to see what can be done. Boards don't find it easy to give ethical leadership, press executives for performance, ensure they are following all the governance requirements, and ... and ... Muir's report gives a framework boards should use, which suggests different actions for each of the three kinds of risk - bad apples, pressured apples and foolish apples.

My First Job - George Westwell, director, responsible for HR, Cheval Group

David Busby says:

Hi George. So glad to have been useful o you in the building of ou future career! Dogsbody indeed!!! Seriously though, compliments of the season to you and all yours. We are now safely retired nd out of the pub business which, apart from a few exceptions which tend to be in the upper end, appears to be on its lat legs. Such a pity. I fel that your pubs down south may be fairing better than those up here which are closing wholesale. Even those which, not so long ago, used to be full to the gunnels. Anyhow, if More...

Microsoft HRD: The world of work is changing

Luanne Brown says:

Very interesting recommendations that I hope corporations, especially, listen to. As a career-freelancer, it's been my experience that the more technological freedom we are given, the harder corporations try to control their staff. Until the mindset of the powers-that-be shifts to embracing these new freedoms, I don't think we stand a chance of realizing the true value of technology, which should be to embolden us to live our best lives. Great article. Thanks.

Do unions still work?

Andy says:

"Unions are no longer essential but they do exist" Trade unions came into being through the greed of an agricultural employer who wanted more work for less pay - 3 times running. As long as greed exists unions will exist. As to "essential": that depends entirely on whether you take a top down or a bottom up view of society. If you work and see managers pull the rug out from under your fellows, essential is the word. If you regard the workers as an obstruction to "getting the job done", and little more than ants at that, unions are More...

In this issue: December 2014
fragment image

Career ladder: Tips and tricks for a winning HR career

Express delivery: HR logistics at Wincanton

Driving equality: Diversity matters for Ford of Europe

Out of juice: The digital onslaught and wellbeing

MA Business & Leisure Limited © Copyright 2014, All Rights Reserved