Latest comments

Employers must prioritise workplace mental health

Fay Hunkins Walcott says:

I think this is an interesting article. It is unfortunate that the call for prioritising work place mental health is due to the new group of individuals now found to be suffering mental distress. The crux of the matter is that it doesn't matter if it is a middle aged manager or an apprentice cleaner, the fact that mental health is well recognised as a key element to a positive work place environment and productivity should be enough for all to take seriously. This means employers and employees; organisational re-structors as well as self help practice. We need to provide More...

Military personnel held back from employment

McGhee says:

I reside across the pond, in Texas, and am an Army Veteran who trains Veterans to start their own businesses. As an entrepreneur myself I will share with you my perspective on translating Military skills - don't focus on aligning skill - for skill. Big picture? ALL businesses are looking for one of two variables from prospective employees; 1) can you make me money and, if so, how much and how soon and 2) can you save me money and, again, how much and how soon. Think in those terms when engaging prospective employers. Also, don't wait to answer an More...

Economic recovery leads to higher attrition, study finds

No news I think says:

The interesting news would be what are organisations doing to control effects of the loss of their talent. Being nice to employees is likely to be marginal. The BoE might find people actively seeking a new job and attrition stats a useful hint to raise interest rate.

Young people ill-equipped to enter job market

Peter Rimmer says:

This story has been running regularly over my lifetime. I left school in 1963, so it's a very long time! Remember, we were young once!

Charity set to offer low-cost legal advice

Jake Pepper says:

Outrageous. THis is not charirt, it is highway robbery. No-win, no-fee is a better route.

Shedding light on mental health

Sebastiaan Koning says:

LS! For eleven years now I have been doing research in Mental Health in Amsterdam, I recommend your excellent article, I sent a link to several people. Delivering formal proof of interventions is almost impossible, and who subsequently would follow the advice? Good food, good sleep, relaxation, physical exercise, improving communication, learning something difficult all seem to work! Warm wishes.

How to build trust in organisations

Jon Ingham, Strategic HCM says:

My experience measuring any intangible in HR is that measuring it without understanding the context is a red herring. Understand why you want to develop trust and what you're going to do with it, and then the measure should be relatively obvious. It's not measurement that's hard, it being clear about what you're trying to do.

Atos plans early exit from Government contract

G Wagstaff says:

I had an Atos assessment a year ago taking away my Incapacity Benefit and the nurse who performed it lied and told half-truths and made ridiculous presumptions in her report.I am too ill to work with supporting evidence from my Doctors and Consultants and at the end of Feb they will stop my money with nothing to live on.This is my experience with Atos!

Shedding light on mental health

Harold A. Maio says:

That mental-health illness is still a taboo subject - It is not. stereotypes, discrimination and stigma - the stigma attached to mental illness This stigma is a major barrier There are no circumstances in which I would cooperate with any one asserting a “stigma.” I would confront them, which is precisely what you ought do: stereotypes, discrimination Is properly edited. See rape, “stigma, you have apparently forgotten. Tackling stigma It is often severe conditions such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder that carry the greatest stigma; Those are your words, you have also apparently forgotten. You are instructing readers with your More...

Interview with HRD Amnesty International: Managing change in a tough environment

Peter Benesson says:

If I was a robot I'd try to destroy human rights organisations too!

Shedding light on mental health

Frances Hilton says:

It could be said that when Personnel became HR and employees were just strategic pawns to move around a board, then employee care ceased to be. HR can be too strategy focused. Maybe it's time to re-introduce an element of 'tea & sympathy' personnel service to companies and stop HR from being seen as simply the hacking and sacking department. Personal opinion.

Shedding light on mental health

Richard Frost says:

This excellent article makes some really valuable observations and raises challenges to address. An NHS initiative, Mindful Employer (www.mindfulemployer.net), provides businesses and organisations with access to information and support for staff experiencing mental ill health and a survey of employees indicates increased confidence in being able to talk to managers. It takes time - and will continue to do so - but change is happening.

Royal Mail and unions turn to third party mediation

Kate Grant says:

Internal mediation schemes can be an invaluable resource. Far from being 'neutral evaluators' who 'do not facilitate discussions' they are impartial, fair minded and totally professional and have in my experience brought about very positive and long-lasting resolutions to disputes that had caused a great deal of stress and unhappiness to employees who otherwise are left with the alternatives of either raising a grievance, a long and unhappy and expensive process both in terms of direct and indirect costs,continuing as things are or walking away from a job they would rather have kept. Royal Mail's plans to train their own More...

Cary Cooper: Flexible working should be open to everyone

Dickon Moon says:

A successful flexible working policy can enrich a business and add immensely to its productivity provided it is extended to all. Flexible working at its best helps to boost employee morale and loyalty towards the company, but a policy that excludes a large section of the workforce would only defeat the purpose. http://blog.arise.com/uk/clients/is-the-flexible-working-policy-the-privilege-of-only-a-select-few/

Royal Mail and unions turn to third party mediation

JOHN ADAM KERNS JR says:

I have been a Mediator in the US for 25 years having done over 1,800 of them. As part of that experience I have been a Mediator in the REDRESS Program since 1999 with over 125 cases. I have also Mediated 150 matters for the EEOC. You have little or no hope of credibility if you go the cheaper internal route. An independent Mediator has no dog in the fight. Insiders soon become Neutral Evaluators and do not Facilitate the discussion.

How to build trust in organisations

Michael Kacprzak says:

Hi, Do you perhaps know methods of measuring trust in organizations? Some surveys, research material that could be reused? Regards, Michael

NHS Employers boss Royles: 'Forget pride, let's learn from Rose'

Kim Holt says:

I agree that understanding how to inspire and motivate staff might be a useful lesson for many in the NHS. BUT most of our challenges relate to staffing and skills shortages. Even a great manager cannot make good patient care happen if there are not the frontline staff available. Basics must be that we have the resource to do the job.

NHS Employers boss Royles: 'Forget pride, let's learn from Rose'

Kim Holt says:

How to build trust in organisations

Jon Ingham, Strategic HCM says:

Interesting stuff. Lack of trust is a huge issue. But for me it can't just be down to picking better leaders. I think we've already gone well past this. If people now trust people like me vs their CEOs (from the Edelman results you include), organisational trust comes from each other, not from senior leaders. It's not about the people at the top, it's about being much more open and democratic and involving people much more than before. People aren't going to trust you if you tell them what to do. Involve them and they'll trust each other and the More...

The most depressing phrase in HR

Peter Copping says:

It was the lawyers to blaim (Rolex's and all) Note the rigmarole you have to go though for flexible hours for example. If you give people personal contracts and insist on them being the same, the result in inflexibility and negotiation. Does Penguin books flex its commercial contracts so easily? Wedding breakfast contracts might be insurable.

In this issue: February 2015
fragment image

Feeling the pinch: How can HR create quality jobs for all?

Food for thought: HR at Sodexo

Have a little faith: Operations in the YMCA

Around the world: Business travel booked

MA Business & Leisure Limited © Copyright 2015, All Rights Reserved