Latest comments

How can we kickstart investment in human capital?

Clare Norman says:

I understand the idea in theory, incentivising companies to invest in the health of their workforce - it helps the individuals, it helps the company's performance and it helps the economy as a while. But I wonder how many employees actually take up these schemes. I'd be interested to know what the take-up of cycle to work schemes is; or gym subsidies; or lunch time yoga classes. What is the percentage of employees who actually use these? And what would encourage them to want to use them? So it's not only about offering these things, but offering them in a More...

How to create unified CSR in a multinational business

Paula Obrien says:

Srimathi, Thanks for this article. Once again your thoughts are so insightful and useful. I would add that many innovative organizations are now aligning PTO policies with CSR by providing a designated number of paid days off each year for volunteer work. This is above and beyond PTO and floating holidays!

How can we kickstart investment in human capital?

GRH says:

Stop referring to human beings as 'Capital', 'Resources' 'Head count' and the like. They are PEOPLE not nuts and bolts or some other commodity for Pete's sake. The more we de-humanise people the easier it is to process them like we do the animals we feed on. 'Soylant Green' anyone?

Close your classrooms and embrace modern L&D methods

Grahame R Harwood says:

I can assure you I have actually seen this 'Game Learning Activity' produce results. Last parents'evening at high school the maths teacher takes us tells us our son who us in set two for maths has achieved 100% in his end of year common maths test (internal exam) where less than 10 pupils in the whole school year group achieved this. I asked son how this happened (it was definitely not through hard revision and preparation). Son tells me the hard questions were just easy for him since he had been playing a computer game based on rocket science where More...

What is the point of human capital reporting?

Frank Douglas says:

One of the key issues is that if Human Capital is an 'asset' - is it an appreciating or depreciating one. And, at what point does it switch, what is the depreciation period and when do you write it off; all accounting issues.

CIPD report finds L&D delivery gap

Philip Pirie says:

Ruth Stuart is surely right in saying that L&D must be aligned with the business. The big question is how to diagnose what the business really needs to drive performance. When it comes down to individual performance, a good starting point is 360 feedback with appropriate support to help bring about those desired changes.

Consumers more likely to use Living Wage employers

Carol H Scott says:

While I fully support the living wage and frankly think the minimum apprentice wage is derisory, in my humble opinion it highly unlikely the majority of consumers would ever consider the living wage when making their purchases. The poll of 1500 people is a drop in the ocean and cannot be claimed that the majority of the country is of this opinion. Although consumers would prefer to use living wage employers most wouldn't think twice about those who make/provide the cheap stuff home and abroad.

Business needs to improve strategic workforce planning, research finds

John Cusack says:

Is there a link to the research? JC

HR needs to up its game

David Physick says:

There are many facets to gamification. The Nike example is but one. Where I have concern is developing virtual reality games as pedagogically effective learning tools, for instance to support customer experience or leadership development. As in a shoot 'em up game, the problem is that everything is pre-programmed, i.e. A does X and Y happens. This doesn't mirror real life - such sequential association doesn't happen. Life is far more richly coloured, varied and full of surprises. Where VR can provide huge help in developing behavioural capability is in using 3D fully immersive virtual learning environments. There are many More...

Human capital ratings index launched

Stuart Woollard says:

For those interested, attached is a link to how we have developed our OMI together with some of the initial findings: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/rating-human-capital-management-capability-what-we-have-woollard?trk=object-title

What is the point of human capital reporting?

Keith Bedingham says:

One issue is the definition (as stated in the article). We at Verax have defined human capital as "The financial value that employees contribute to the enterprise". This is an outcome that we have devised a way to measure. This gets away from looking at inputs which most other methods espouse. The value of contribution is determined by the organisation's business strategy, so the more aligned contributions are worth more. Any particular contribution has no inherent value. It only acquires value within a context. But lots of things that happen in organisations that facilitate or hinder the way and the More...

Lessons from marketing: Talent as customers

Jo Rowbotham says:

Wonderful article, you are right that internal recruiters can learn a lot from Marketers. Employer branding extends beyond a logo and website to encompass how a company interacts with it's target audience. Given that HR is often the first point of contact for potential recruits, the engagement from HR is critical to shaping candidates' opinions of and feelings about about the company. Jo Rowbotham www.emptylemon.co.uk

Building talent communities

Michael Moran says:

That's his job!

What is the point of human capital reporting?

Jon Ingham says:

I like tying value to broader benefits than just profit but for me, the value of people in an organisation is still going to be unique to that organisation, meaning that meaningful reporting is always going to be done in a way which is specific to that organisation too.

Human capital ratings index launched

Jon Ingham says:

There are two main issues for me - the first is that there are different types of maturity. Therefore there's the issue which Accounting for People never cracked and I don't think Valuing Your People has solved either (because its unsolvable) that metrics are either transactional or unlikely to be relevant. The second is about the statement that in order to be influential HR needs to be able to make a case in language business understands. Does it, or do we need to change the language that business uses that to recognise the value of people in a different way? More...

Trust is key to good leadership

vinay johar says:

This Article Suggests that The Real Trust can only be in Truth.To be trusted, once makes a connection between a present action & future situation that, with the passage of time, the trusting person proves to be true.

Online learning out of favour for L&D

Anna Paola Usai says:

It depends on how the online training is developed and delivered. On the one side, it's true, we clearly see a decline of online corporate training. Busy schedules, sometimes unstructured work environments, means that it becomes difficult first to find the time, then to focus on the learning objects. Is it only me or there are other people out there that when they really want to concentrate hide in a meeting room? On the other side, however, online training is actually booming. Youtube videos on advanced use of Excel, Access, and other software have hundred of thousands of viewers. Myself More...

Online learning out of favour for L&D

Craig J says:

So how would you classify my onlineSpanish school https://121Spanish.com ? Online or in person as it combines both elements. I agree with Andrew's comments above. Just too broad of an article to draw any conclusions.

Online learning out of favour for L&D

Keith Appleyard says:

I've suffered from on-line & video learning for decades ... to me there are 2 main drawbacks : 1) If I don't understand, I can't put up my hand and ask a question. Consequently the remainder of what follows continues to evade my understanding. If I'm in a coaching lesson, I can interrupt, or wait till the break, to ask my burning question. 2) If I don't get a hand-out or download of the material (afterwards), then I forget what I learned within 24 hours. Particularly if its to do with Compliance or Legislation, I want to be able to More...

Online learning out of favour for L&D

Andrew Lambert, Creelman Lambert says:

This discussion (as reported) suffers distinctly from superficiality and generalisation. The supposed trends and soundbites generated therefrom are quite likely to be misleading as a result. For example, on-line learning and coaching take many forms, are used by many different types of people with varied needs, and vary significantly in quality of content and delivery. Only when those dimensions are explored are we likely to find out anything useful and actionable. Without going into too much detail, on-line learning has always been suited to just-in time work support and general discovery. By now the ‘googlification’ and ‘youtubeisation’ of learning has More...

In this issue: May 2015
fragment image

Going steady: With the economy improving, can you remember how to lead HR in an upturn?

National treasure: Leading HR in the NHS

Happily ever after: The future of employee engagement

Cream of the crop: The HR Excellence Awards 2015 shortlist