Latest comments

Numbers lying on CVs increase

Richard Lock says:

I've always considered C.V's as sales promotion documents where many truths are embellished, if not blatantly misrepresented. Strong interview skills, along with consistent background checks make a significant difference. There are far more trained candidates around than interviewers and too often the 'tail wags the dog'.

Companies missing out on gamification benefits

Charles Cotton says:

As we say in our recent report on behavioural science and reward, to be successful, gamification needs to work with intrinsic motivation rather than against it. In other words, games would need to be designed to build in scope for autonomy and control, and ‘allow the player to create intrinsic value, from learning the simple enjoyment of the challenges … the focus should be on people doing what they already want to do’ http://www.cipd.co.uk/hr-resources/research/show-money-behavioural-science-reward.aspx?utm_medium=email&utm_source=cipd&utm_campaign=cipdupdate&utm_content=250315_1927__20150327114756_Read%20the%20report&utm_term=0

HR needs to up its game

Rob Vickerman says:

It only takes to walk down the street to realise people's attention, engagement and accessibility has changed. Gamitication is without doubt a necessity to engage with the younger generations progressing to management and positions of influence. The crux of the matter is how it can be aligned with Heath, Wellbeing and Motivation...examples of this are Nike+ as stated, but also products like Fitbit. A healthy workforce is a happy workforce! Happy to debate with anyone! Rob

HR needs to up its game

Jon Ingham says:

A great explanation of gamification, Jabbar. Gamification is about a change in approach, in behaviour, in culture, something to we bring to everything we do in HR, not a bit of kit we implement to make something really boring a bit less so. It's a shame you didn't attend the gamification session at the HR Transformation conference we both spoke at recently. I used a very simple, gamified approach to my presentation which I thought illustrated what gamification is about probably more powerfully than the content I spoke about. Simply because by giving autonomy for the presentation back to the More...

Companies missing out on gamification benefits

Jon Ingham says:

Not too sure that Gary knows what it is either actually. For me, and I think most people working in this area, it doesn't actually need to involve technology at all. It's much more a human centred approach to organisation, culture and process design, treating people as players and providing them with compelling experiences. Jabbar's much closer to the mark in his article with the definition of ‘the use of game elements and game-design techniques in non-game contexts.’ http://strategic-hcm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/gamifyhr-gamification-design.html

Retail and food workers risk soft skills ‘deficit’

Ken Bye says:

Surely the skills shortage within retail is down to education. I have worked in and 'around' retail all my life and was educated in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I am astonished by shop workers who can't work out 10% without resorting to a calculator and customer service staff who have poor communication skills. Companies compound this by taking the 'easy' way out. One of my employers trained managers in disciplinary procedures but never in training ('Plenty more fish in the sea' was probably their mantra).

When will we talk about talent, rather than women, at the top?

Geraldine Gallacher says:

Rather than bemoan that we still have very few female senior execs we should learn from how penetration of boards by non-exec females was achieved. Maybe we need a 15% club for executive women as the 30% club did achieve a massive hike in non-exec female numbers.

Wellbeing should be "at the heart" of employee benefits, says Samsung VPHR

Alexandra House says:

This seems like an easy thing to do for a multi million/billion pound organisation. My struggle as a sole HR Manager in a Voluntary Organisation, is how do I look after all my employees wellbeing on a £0 budget? I'm implementing 1/2 day stress buster days which will include walks on beach, in the woods, mindfullness sessions etc. managing a team of Psychotherapists, Social Workers and Psychologists who deal with emotional burdens of young children who have been abused is very difficult to manage.

This is the evidence for talent management

Dave Collings says:

Thanks for the comments Rob and John. I agree there is no single way of thinking about talent management but the same could be said for HR or marketing or many other areas of practice. What is clear is that people issues have gained traction with the C-Suite in a way that hasn't been the case in the past (See many consultancy reports and work by Pat Wright and colleagues) (1). To answer Rob's question I think talent matters not just to HR folk but also to CEOs. It is an organisation phenomena that matters and I am not convinced More...

This is the evidence for talent management

Jon Ingham says:

I think talent management is really hard to comment on as it can means so many things, not that this is a bad thing. And it doesn't mean that we can't treat it in an evidence based way, simply just that the evidence needs to come from within a firm rather than across the profession. But what about something more specific and tangible like the 9 box grid you mention David. I'd love to see some positive evidence for that! (i.e., I don't believe there will be any.)

ISS CEO: Firms should pay the living wage

cant say says:

Iss facility services don't pay the living wage its just over the minimum the only way for a lot of employees of this company to make end's meet is to work stupid hours what a crock of s**t

Are UK managers falling behind their global counterparts?

Nicholas Muteti says:

Its really becoming a calamity when it comes to new ways of management and unless we do away with the old method of doing we cannot prosper,i think the solution is to get fresh minds in organizations for them to improve the production

What's the evidence for... talent management?

Kate Hammond says:

I think the thing that most resonates with me is the issue of what you do to those left behind. There is risk of win-lose here: you might gain more productivity from the 'talented few', but what about the effect on OCBs, engagement etc of the majority. Same deal with PRP - if the payment isn't worth what it does to the C graders (especially if forced through quotas), attending to the gains only doesn't give you the full picture.

What's the evidence for... talent management?

Bob Hicks says:

You can hire 'talented' people, but unless you have a culture that allows them to develop and apply their talent they will become de motivated. If the culture is characterised by politics then innovation becomes stifled and they will leave. Without the right resources, management support and teamwork they can become frustrated and under perform. So 'talent management' depends on so many other variables it is no wonder that evidence for it's success is hard to come by. Simpler to measure whether they actually 'got the job done?'

What's the evidence for... talent management?

Rob Briner says:

Hi Jon – I guess the analysis in the article is based on a combination of critical thinking and evidence. This is really what evidence-based practice is about. I completely agree that much of it seems to be “what we should have known anyway” – but one of the challenges for professionals in all fields is to pay more attention to the stuff we should know anyway and good quality evidence instead of the dubious faddy stuff usually based on poor quality evidence. Maybe you already think in an evidence-based way so none of this is new to you! Hi More...

Interserve appoints Catherine Ward as group HR director

Michaela keeley says:

Firstly, may I apologise for what I am about to write, but feel that my hand has been forced, in an issue, regarding my daughter-in-law, currently employed by Interserve,as a cleaner,who works hard,who never takes time off, who is willing to work extra hours when requested but who has been treated abysmally by the payroll department of said company, who have failed to pay wages owed, for three consecutive months, the last pay being Friday 21st March 2015, where this poor girl had been underpaid, yet again, by approximately £160.00, which has accumulated since December. Now, I understand that this More...

This is the evidence for talent management

Rob Briner says:

Hi David thanks for this. I can’t see any evidence in what you write here for or against talent management (TM). Rather you are describing how you believe it (if there is an ‘it’ when it comes to TM) has changed and are citing evidence for practices such as individualizing HR which doesn’t seem much to do with TM to me (unless you define it to mean all HR practices!). I don’t disagree with much of what you said but just to help continue the conversation: 1. “talent management is an important area of people practice” – I just don’t More...

Employee absence can be a key factor of staff disengagement

Judith Gidwell says:

I absolutely believe the Bradford Points Scale of managing sickness in the workplace is wholly inappropriate and certainly results in the people who have genuine sickness being sacked while the people 'working the system' retaining their jobs and sitting pretty. It is a brutal and senseless tool used by pen pushers drunk with the power of holding an employees carreer in their hands. Time to get rid!

Patrick Wright: What makes an effective CHRO?

Jon Ingham says:

But I still don't see business savvy being this important. It's needed yes but to me it's not the differentiator. I like the comment that HR "must do more than understand the business. They have to understand it to the point where they can predict and affect the human capital issues that are driven from the business problems." This is it - we need to understand the human capital issues and this comes from people savvy - not HR savvy, not business savvy but a deep understanding of people.

Apprenticeships help plug hospitality skills gap, says Whitbread head of education

Peter Copping says:

What does this mean? Less likely than who? and when? Are we being kidded? Incidentally.. do apprentices have better, the same or worse prospects than a graduate with a hospitality related qualification.

In this issue: April 2015
fragment image

Who is best for HR: The general election is only weeks away. What could it mean for HR?

When the price is right: Tullow Oil's HRD on the sector