Latest comments

Two-thirds of graduates regret first role

Samuel Gordon says:

2/3rds? Wow. To be honest, having spent two years slowly building an evidence base on what graduates go through, this doesn't surprise me. Many of them are not prepared for the learning curve that the first year in work involves - if they had a better way of benchmarking their experience then this issue would largely disappear. First Year In is doing work in this space - check us out and we'll work to fix it. Cheers, Sam, Managing Director

Employers value attitude above qualifications and experience

Stephen Moreton says:

So in essence Emily, young people will need a magnitude of fortitude to cope with the ineptitude of a multitude of employers’ current approaches to recruitment…?

Performance improvement plans and the culture of fear

Tony Gould says:

These articles simply highlight my justified contempt for HR people. I have worked in a large corporate organisation that was subjected to the ‘anti-personnel’ policies in the name of improving performance. Every few years a new ‘initiative’ is created by these people, sold to senior management and then inflicted upon the workforce resulting in a claimed improvement, but hiding the sickness, stress and suicides. In my capacity as a research manager there was no measure of number of degrees, membership of professional institutions, papers delivered at conferences, patents obtained or any measure of the technical value to the organisation. The More...

Two-thirds of graduates regret first role

Banes says:

I hated my first graduate job. They treated me too much with kid gloves. I was eager to learn everything I could and really get stuck in with my own workload, but they wanted to take things really slowly, bogging me down in basic admin tasks they could have paid someone a much smaller salary to do. After 6 months I told them I was disappointed at how slowly opportunities for development were being given to me - they did nothing to speed this process up, so after a year I left. I have no regrets - I'm still in More...

Dean Royles: Some people are women, get over it

Jaika Witana says:

I am a Senior Consultant Clinician in the NHS (UK) – “Male” and as a Doctor who qualified in Sri Lanka in the 70’s from the University of Colombo Sri Lanka I have no difficulty in acknowledging female colleagues as equals in the medical / surgical world. In June 2014, my Medical School Year Group had its 40th (Ruby) reunion which resulted in a gathering of doctors from all over the globe to Sri Lanka Waaduwa a beautiful beach resort in the South Western Coast of Sri Lanka … we had an equal mix of males : females in the More...

More than one million over-65s in work

Denis Lenihan says:

Saga see it as benefit that workers have a right to choose when they retire but for the vast majority there is no choide at all - they must continue to work because the government and the employer have delayed the point at which they can avail of a pension. It seems that in Saga-land all over 60s are wealthy professionals in jobs they enjoy! Is this reality? Speak to the National Pensioner's Convention for a more realistic view...

Two-thirds of graduates regret first role

David Gordon says:

Never forget my second job with British Airports Authority. First comment from my new boss on my first day "I wouldn't have chosen you if I had had my way". Great start that didn't get much better. Started applying for new jobs straight away.

Line managers are the squeezed middle of business

Ian Townley says:

In my line of work, and in HR/L&D in general, the success of businesses, especially in the area of personal development and organisational performance depends heavily on supervisors and line managers. It's definitely about time they got more attention instead of constantly lauding the efforts of Mega-CEO's.

Lies, lies and more lies: Fact-checking CVs

James Curtis says:

Good insite on this article; especially important when lives are a risk in some industries!

Lies, lies and more lies: Fact-checking CVs

Gill Lightfoot says:

On reading the article, I can only whole heartedly agree with the content. Having work in the recruitment field for more years that I care to remember, it is imperative that we support our clients with all aspects of candidate selection which starts with the all important CV checking. Whilst this is the candidates sales document giving them a chance to promote their skills and experience it is our job to ascertain what is facts and what is fiction! I personally, and also train my team to utilise competency based questions to confirm dates, experience, qualifications and memberships (the latter More...

Are UK employers embracing graphology?

Vijay H says:

From the past 6 years i am using this science and found it very helpful in my job as a HR manager. It helped me give insights into aspects that cannot be found in the interview / tests. However it is very important that one must learn this science in a professional manner. Where you learn makes the complete difference. There are many people out in the market just reading a book and naming themselves a graphologist. That is unfair. I have done my graduate course in handwriting analysis from Handwriting Analysts International (www.hai.in) They offer a 3 year course More...

Employers value attitude above qualifications and experience

Emily Perry says:

Interesting research though I find this very surprising. As a current job seeker, I have come to recognise that most job adverts (even for lower level positions) request a degree qualification. As someone who opted for work over University, it somewhats limits the opportunities. Would be very interested to know who the employers in the research were and how many, in reality, tailor their job adverts in order to sift on attitude as opposed to qualification.

Employers value attitude above qualifications and experience

Nizam Hassan says:

I've always said that it's your attitude and not your aptitude that determines your altitude!

Lies, lies and more lies: Fact-checking CVs

Louis Drinkwater says:

This article empthasises the importance of using effective probing questioning and requesting proof of qualifications or achievements that a candidate claims to have. It's naive to believe every word on someones CV and as a potential employer it is important that you go to every effort to find the relevent person for the role.

Lies, lies and more lies: Fact-checking CVs

Helen Mayhew says:

It's definitely worth pointing out to candidates (as well as employers) that their CV is the first impression of the candidate to their potential new employer. If it is not completely honest, then how can the employer trust that the candidate will be?

Doubts cast over PM's immigrant job claims

Steve Milner says:

The term ‘British’ now seems to embrace all comers; I suspect it’s the same for ‘UK Nationals’, and ‘Immigrants’ could mean all sorts. It might be more meaningful to contrast those of English / Welsh / Scottish / indigenous origin with ‘foreign’ workers.

Lies, lies and more lies: Fact-checking CVs

Marcus Body says:

There's an important mental difference between outright dishonesty and overstatement. The former is a no-no, but the latter is common. And I mean from employers as much as candidates. I was on an IT forum a couple of years ago researching attitudes to employment. One participant dryly noted: "I'll stop lying on my CV when they stop lying on their recruitment website and job descriptions".

Cary Cooper: Engaging with employees will keep your competitive edge

OWUSU MENSAH SAMUEL says:

also the employees fully engage themselves in the job when organization also cares and support the well being of ots members. Employees also feel more satisfied wjen they see that they are paet of decision making process. all tjese go a long way to motivate them since they get to understand the organizatios better and try to appreciate their salary.

Lies, lies and more lies: Fact-checking CVs

John Elliott says:

Very interesting article. Always ask applicants to bring as many relevant documents as is appropriate. See which ones they forget to bring or cant find? i.e. degree cert or proof of billings etc. This should raise alarm bells. Likwise when a candidate leaves out a particular recent employer as a reference. Especially if it is a relevant one. This should be explored during the interview. After all any prospective employer will do the the same so its vital applicants are honest with you from the start if we are to give them any professional advice on dealing with sensitive issues More...

Line managers are the squeezed middle of business

Ian Hesketh says:

As always, a wonderful summary from you. They are indeed tricky times, and I note in other articles posted today that there is a shift in the age of the workforce. Coupled with virtual and flexible working, these dynamics conspire to present real challenges for future leaders.

In this issue: September 2014
fragment image

Model Leaders – What kind of leaders do we need now? Find out in this special issue

Breaking the Silence – Lucy Adams and the BBC

Take it to the bank – HR in charge as TSB branches off

Save us all – Do collective pension schemes work?

MA Business & Leisure Limited © Copyright 2014, All Rights Reserved