Latest comments

Between the sheets: Meet Dorchester Collection's Eugenio Pirri

Jane Sunley says:

I guess some readers might be thinking that The Dorchester Collection are in a more fortunate position than others when it comes to investing in people. However no amount of cash can achieve the results that are evident here. It's about doing the right things, consistently. This has taken great leadership , clarity and vision and I congratulate Genio and his teams on their success; I'm very proud to work with them.

Flexible working: Finding the right balance

Lori Goldsmith says:

Long before I ever heard the term workforce flexibility, I inherited a proposal processing center that took on a life of its own and was keeping me from my “real” job. I appointed three leads and told them I did not care who worked what hours, I would pay for 40 hours. The caveat: Every proposal had to be perfect and the only excuse for a late proposal was that the requestor did not supply needed information on time. It was a manager’s dream. The team was so productive and protective of this arrangement. If we made a hire that More...

Can the real NHS please stand up?

Parvin Morris says:

Great piece Dean!

Flexible working: Finding the right balance

Elspeth says:

It's about time people without children have the chance to ask for flexibility! Whilst an interesting article, it focuses on going part-time as the only option regarding flexibility. What about people who wish to change their usual full time hours by contracting them into a fewer number of days?

Employee ownership can drive productivity

Bob Cannell FCIPD says:

Research in the USA where employee share ownership is widespread and there are a sizeable number of 100% EO firms, suggests the gains diminish after four years. Particularly in those businesses where there is employee ownership but ineffective employee control. Studies by Prof. Virginie Perotin show a significant enhancement in productivity in businesses which conform to the definition of worker cooperatives (compared to privately owned). The effect is seen in different countries with widely differing cultures and economies. In the UK EO is prioritised but employee control is not apart from some exceptional examples. We must be careful these are More...

EU holiday pay ruling: How employers can mitigate risk

C Dring says:

It's nice to see employers being given "ethical" advice on how to screw their employees out of what is rightfully theirs. Tell me what advice would you give to the employee who has been under paid by their employer all these years?

Managing high-performing but demanding Gen Y

sharon crooks says:

I agree with the idea of giving Gen Y the tools and the 'freedom to succeed' I learned myself working at Diageo, but it can only work where there is a very clear idea of the organisation's ultimate goals. Otherwise, the Gen Y desire for personal progress and finding meaning may drive behaviours that don't benefit the organisation.

Electric dreams: The potential for electric vehicle fleets

J Purrdey says:

So when do we think we'll see a Tesla P85+ in police livery whoosh past us on the motorway?

Is gender pay reporting too simplistic?

Banes says:

What I always find frustrating about any reporting on the pay gap is that it just seems to be accepted that the low pay attracted by female dominated jobs is justified. Surely one of the big reasons for the pay gap is the historical issue that "women's work" was not as valuable as men's and as such any role dominated by women was paid a lot less. This historical inequality has remained and for the most part Equal Pay legislation has not tackled this problem. For instance, I used to work for a care company where the carers were on More...

Employee ownership can drive productivity

John Atherton says:

Nice to see an article about employee ownership in HR Magazine. If you readers are interested in more info there are two free guides to co-operative options for business successions: Selling your business to your workers? www.uk.coop/simplybuyout More info on worker co-ops here: www.uk.coop/workdercode

Employee ownership can drive productivity

Sion Whellns says:

Higher productivity is a proven outcome of worker ownership and control in a business. When people work in a culture of respect and equality, and are able to collectively self-manage their working lives, it really changes the game.

Employee ownership can drive productivity

Britta says:

I work in a worker co-operative and the engagement is very high as everyone is the owner and managing director as well as the worker. It is a great model and would highly recommend it to new start ups and existing SMEs alike. We have 60 members and every single one has input in any decision, so no moaning about 'the people up there told me to do it' etc Staff turnover and absense figures are extremely low. All this talk about employee engagement and all the theory behind it is a worker coop in action.

Can the real NHS please stand up?

Mohamed Jogi says:

Yes we should be proud of progress yet the challenge is now to maintain our position against other health systems, while focusing on the unwarranted variations that exist within our own. In addition the same report indicates poor showing of the UK in terms of healthy lives this needs a real focus on behaviour change and attitude for users. In terms of raising concerns I think HR has a real opportunity to ensure this issue is firmly part of staff engagement agenda to help staff demonstrate an attitude that is characterised by loyalty and pride with evidence of behaviour that More...

Two-thirds of graduates regret first role

Vineet Kumar says:

Most companies try to attract the graduates by showing results, job profile and wellness in work culture hyperbolically. Candidates come in with very high expectations but organization doesn't deliver to their promises. So, candidates either leave early or loose enthusiasm and drop their performance just in frustration also at harder cases the misconduct is also observed.

Welfare reforms hit working families hardest, says TUC

Henry Horrace says:

The Tories hitting the poor to subsidise the rich. No surprise there then

Welfare reforms hit working families hardest, says TUC

Steve Skinner says:

Whenever evidence of this type emerges it is dismissed often by the government, even when incontrovertible. I may be mistaken but, not least because whatever problem is remedied on the one hand on the other a new one is created, it appears to me that it's ideological rather than strictly practical.

Two-thirds of graduates regret first role

Samuel Gordon says:

2/3rds? Wow. To be honest, having spent two years slowly building an evidence base on what graduates go through, this doesn't surprise me. Many of them are not prepared for the learning curve that the first year in work involves - if they had a better way of benchmarking their experience then this issue would largely disappear. First Year In is doing work in this space - check us out and we'll work to fix it. Cheers, Sam, Managing Director

Employers value attitude above qualifications and experience

Stephen Moreton says:

So in essence Emily, young people will need a magnitude of fortitude to cope with the ineptitude of a multitude of employers’ current approaches to recruitment…?

Performance improvement plans and the culture of fear

Tony Gould says:

These articles simply highlight my justified contempt for HR people. I have worked in a large corporate organisation that was subjected to the ‘anti-personnel’ policies in the name of improving performance. Every few years a new ‘initiative’ is created by these people, sold to senior management and then inflicted upon the workforce resulting in a claimed improvement, but hiding the sickness, stress and suicides. In my capacity as a research manager there was no measure of number of degrees, membership of professional institutions, papers delivered at conferences, patents obtained or any measure of the technical value to the organisation. The More...

Two-thirds of graduates regret first role

Banes says:

I hated my first graduate job. They treated me too much with kid gloves. I was eager to learn everything I could and really get stuck in with my own workload, but they wanted to take things really slowly, bogging me down in basic admin tasks they could have paid someone a much smaller salary to do. After 6 months I told them I was disappointed at how slowly opportunities for development were being given to me - they did nothing to speed this process up, so after a year I left. I have no regrets - I'm still in More...

In this issue: September 2014
fragment image

Model Leaders – What kind of leaders do we need now? Find out in this special issue

Breaking the Silence – Lucy Adams and the BBC

Take it to the bank – HR in charge as TSB branches off

Save us all – Do collective pension schemes work?

MA Business & Leisure Limited © Copyright 2014, All Rights Reserved