Latest comments

Only 15% of HR directors innovate in benefits

marc Hommel says:

Evidence-based HR: Under the microscope

Stephen Moreton says:

My first thought was "Is EBHR itself, likely to be a passing fad?" Cross-referencing to Purcell's work - 'Unlocking the Black Box: The People and Performance Link'' the HR function will only deliver EBHR if practitioners have the 'Ability, 'Motivation' and 'Opportunity' to do this. So, to avoid EBHR to be a passing fad: - EBHR competencies need to underpin HR & CIPD qualifications. - HR practitioners need to be recruited and rewarded on delivering EBHR. - Organisations need to invest in appropriate resources so the HR function has the opportunities can develop EBHR practices.

Evidence-based HR: Under the microscope

Peter Richardson says:

There is much to be said to positively adopt many of the EBHR ideas in the article. What concerns me is the years and years of constant reviewing of what is the role of Personnel, HR or whatever is the current term applied to the function. The article is accurate in identifying that so much is written by academics or non-practitioner consultants for mutual consumption. Many in the operational HR-type jobs are insecure about where they stand as professional contributors to the wealth creation or service objectives of their organisation and many still regard their function as protecting the procedural More...

Evidence-based HR: Under the microscope

Linda Sutcliffe says:

Having successfully used evidence based selection processes for many years I cannot understand why other HR functions are reluctant to adopt this measurement method. As one of the contributors suggests, "its not rocket science" and the reasons for evidence based decision-making is a no-brainer in my view. I do see anecdotal 'evidence' of lack of proper prioritising, going along with the CEO, and not asking "why"? but its difficult to argue with the facts - maybe this is a reason for the reluctance!!!

Evidence-based HR: Under the microscope

Jon Ingham says:

I completely agree about the need to use evidence where it exists, or can easily be created. But most of this article is actually about the need for better strategic thinking about what we're trying to do in HR and business, and avoiding copying best practice. This can require evidence but often just needs greater clarity about organisational strategy and human psychology. And I'd still maintain that this can benefit from intuition and imagination just as much as it can do so from evidence.

Carol Black: 'Employers should embrace active working'

Joao Bocas says:

Absolutely, the new trend is now reality. So much to embrace.....starting with the traditional exercise / health activities to the new trends of hot desking, stand up meetings, walking meetings....even running meeting for those more adventures. Has been proven time and time again, that employers succeeding at engaging employees with wellness reap huge benefits including higher employee engagement levels.

The DNA of a game changer

Peter Copping says:

Best put them in a 'Zoo' or 'hermits cave', Feed em well and provide them with a bright' student assistant/intern.

Royles: HR must connect talent with customers

Tracey Leghorn, Chartered FCIPD, LLM, BA Hons says:

I agree with your thinking here and building on it, my view having recently moved into the private sector nearly a year ago after 13 years in the public domain is that over the last decade or so, HR has been encouraged to step out of its Ivory tower and integrate into, understand and engage with the business as a true business partner. However, in the highly competitive and performance driven world organisations operate in, we should be looking beyond this to connect outside of the immediate business and build key relationships with existing and potential external Clients and Customers More...

How to do a senior HR role part-time

Jane Doughty says:

I thoroughly agree that Senior HR people should advocate and lead in the flexible working arena. Its a two way process and most HR professionals will have accepted when then started in the profession that people strategies and issues don't sit in a 9-5 regime. However it can be very easy for HR professions to become martyrs and guilt ridden if they seek some form of flexibility for themselves. I enjoy my role and I do not count the hours I work, knowing that the balance sheet is heavily in favour of the organisation. My choice.But my organisation accepts that More...

How to manage recurring sickness absence

Victoria Anderson says:

I agree with Mark, the article tells you all the need to know basics of managing sickness which to be honest most HR people know, however it doesn't address issues outside of these, for example when the employee refuses to make contact and attend meetings, at the advice from their doctor and then union.

What CEOs want from HR directors

Cassie Melrose says:

Completely agree with how important knowing your numbers is for stakeholder / top of the business buy in. A brand new tool to help with recruitment benchmarking specifically and justifying/ supporting certain decisions is Oasis Benchmarking - http://oasishr.com/oasis-benchmarking/. Example of the type of metrics that can be benchmarked, within the same or other industries, are defining or identifying process leakage, budget allocation and identifying process impacts.

Royles: HR must connect talent with customers

Dean Royles says:

thanks for the feedback Nick and Karen. Much appreciated

Royles: HR must connect talent with customers

Karen Watkins says:

Is it not also about HR knowing who their customer(s) are. We need to be more focused on 'who' they are so that we can engage and deliver the right products and services.

Predictions for cloud-based business in 2015

Reynold Leming says:

Good article. I also think, as well as CRM, an increasing area of market growth will be adoption of cloud-based Enterprise Content Management solutions, including enterprise file sync and share. As a consultant in this area I have certainly seen this in 2014.

Royles: HR must connect talent with customers

Nick Brice says:

I agree with these great observations. Some customers have made HR responsible for customer service performance as the performance-pivotal variables of trust, purpose and personal accountability move on to the agenda. With a change of supplier often a single click away, the selection, development and encouragement of great people and working climate are core priorities.

HR magazine's predictions for 2015

Nick Brice says:

I think the challenge for developing leaders and team effectiveness is key. With diverse teams - culture, age, background etc in many organisations, the role of leader/coach is a dynamic, fluid and will rely on the culture cultivated in the team itself. We see therefore a need for leadership/team culture to be developed hand in hand in small steps rather that some long off-site training programme.

HR magazine's predictions for 2015

Tim Parry says:

Nothing new then! Could argue it has been the same issues for the past three decades. Politics, skills shortages and measuring the value or otherwise of HRM

Is it time to give up on performance appraisals?

Needing Improvement says:

It's definitively time to give up Performance appraisals. They’re not only a waste of time, they’re actively harmful to motivation and happiness at work. They are also career damaging if your manager usually without people's skills rate you as not meeting requirements and setting a goal for himself to improve you as his employee gaining his own success and ruining you as a person and ruining your career. The result is people are unhappy and they have to leave their job and we all know it's not easy to find a new job and when you have to do it More...

Employers value attitude above qualifications and experience

Jacqueline Gold says:

Candidates have a whole life to lead. Qualifications may lose value in the eyes of the employers but they add to the self esteem and confidence of the candidates. The qualifications gained help them to recognise their potential to try anything.

HRD at heart: Fil Adams-Mercer, CEO of Parcel2Go

Sheila says:

I sent a parcel on the 10/12/14. Accoring to the tracking information it would be delivered NO LATER than 24/12/14. I got a bit concerned as it was still showing as not delivered only to be told it would be next week. I have sent xmas gifts to be delivered next week? I said the least they could do was offer mypayment back and I was shocked to hear 'It is not a guaranteed service so we will not be able to refund any money' This is unacceptable and I will never use your service again. I still maintain that More...

In this issue: December 2014
fragment image

Career ladder: Tips and tricks for a winning HR career

Express delivery: HR logistics at Wincanton

Driving equality: Diversity matters for Ford of Europe

Out of juice: The digital onslaught and wellbeing

MA Business & Leisure Limited © Copyright 2015, All Rights Reserved