Latest comments

Lucy Adams and the school of hard knocks

Safia Boot says:

Should HR be guided by a moral compass when trying to change a toxic culture in the face of management resistance or remain shackled by a footballer package and risk becoming institionalised? By her own admission Adams did not lose touch with the business as she did with the external context (and notions of fairness). Would senior executives take note if more HRD's were prepared to vote with their feet, put people before profit or personal greed? Is it worth paying any price for a seat at the top table? Or do we need a new breed of HR/management hero? More...

How to keep momentum in your mentoring scheme

Amanda Polewski says:

Thanks for the article Penny! You've highlighted three absolute musts in formal mentoring programs that are still sometimes overlooked - especially around communication and measurement. I have two further resources to offer, the first around the perils of skipping communication: http://insala.com/Articles/Mentoring-training/the-perils-of-skipping-mentoring-training.asp And the second about why you should assess and measure: http://insala.com/Articles/Mentoring/why-should-i-measure-my-mentoring-program.asp

Do not fret – HR is the vibrant profession

Safia Boot says:

Dean, I agree new ideas and approaches should be welcomed. Dissatisfaction with the status quo leads to a desire to create new ways of working to the benefit of all stakeholders. However new ideas can only turn into workable ones if we also welcome those people who dare to critique and challenge which enevitalbly will lead to some conflict. Too often such challengers are seen in organisatons as dissenters in the face of the consensus view. The effect is people superficially support a new idea not yet fully tested due to fear of speaking honestly.In my experience people don't fear More...

Do not fret – HR is the vibrant profession

Safia Boot says:

Dean, I agree new ideas and approaches should be welcomed. Dissatisfaction with the status quo leads to a desire to create new ways of working to the benefit of all stakeholders. However new ideas can only turn into workable ones if we also welcome those people who dare to critique and challenge which enevitalbly will lead to some conflict. Too often such challengers are seen in organisatons as dissenters in the face of the consensus view. The effect is people superfucially support a new idea not yet fully tested due to fear of speaking honestly.In my experience people don't fear More...

Do not fret – HR is the vibrant profession

Safia Boot says:

Kevin Green: The candidate experience is getting worse

Safia Boot says:

Thanks for some great insights. Recruitment professionals would do well to act on your sound advice. An employer brand is not what an employer tells it's employees or prospective employees but what they tell each other and their friends/family. Recruitment professionals need to design processes that bring dignity and authenticity to the rhetoric in recruitment litrature.It's short sighted to treat recruitment as a transactional process but part of a holistic approach to employee engagement to build trust.

Myth busters: holiday, absence and sick leave

Susan Campbell says:

Your info was very imformative, but I am still wondering, I have been put sick for 2 weeks due to a bad back, but right after my 2 weeks I have one weeks leave booked, will I still be allowed to have my leave? Thank you.

Lucy Adams and the school of hard knocks

Kippo says:

I was made redundant after nearly 26 working for a company in their IT department (Riverisland Clothing Company...HQ)...in Dec 2012. My whole department of 12 staff were laid off and paid the most paltry of payments (ie.. basic government statuatory payments). I was personally paid just inder £11k for my 26 years of working gruelling 12 hour continental shifts of 60hr weeks. ...Most of the staff were long termers averaging 20 years service and some had beem there since leaving school.... One can understand it for a company to pay paltry sums to loyal staff if the company was making More...

Hot topic: HR and social mobility

NAKUL KUMAR says:

thanks for guidence about hr and social mobility ,it is interesting i really like this article

Create HR policies that get the best out of staff

nakul kumar says:

this is very helpful for me. thank you very much...

Can shared services provide a quality HR service?

Nigel Smith says:

Great open debate, and open discussion on the Advantages and Disadvantages of implementing HR Shared Services. Implementation is all about selecting the right services, the right partner , and having support from senior stakeholders. Establishing SLAs to monitor and report on performance of services provided from the HR Shared Services.

'Misconceptions' prevent food and drink industry attracting STEM skills

Amanda Ogeah says:

I agree with both comments, and it seems, through our interaction with our network of young people that they also want the same thing happening - food and drink companies in their schools and colleges, giving them first hand industry accounts so they can make an adequate choice as to weather the industry is right for them. We are on the way to achieving this and just need more companies in the industry supporting our mission.

Gen Y women to break glass ceiling before men, says whitepaper

Claire Ortiz says:

We have experience this with our interns, and totally agree. Its refreshing to see young, ambitious, unapologetic women coming in, rolling up there sleeves, and doing the work. They expect reward based on the work they put in.

Appeal for HRDs to support 'new breed' of data scientists

Ann Morgan says:

Data science is really at the forefront of the UK digital economy. And as an emerging discipline, it is vital for organisations to really support the them. There is vast expectations placed on the individual professionals, who now are not only expected to have technical knowledge and Maths strength but also understanding business drivers and being able to communicate effectively. If we get the support for those individuals right, we will change the way our world works. This is especially important as we move forward into a digital age where everyday consumer goods will connect with one another making the More...

Teens feel education not enhancing digital skills

Peter Copping says:

If employers believe it is necessary support the 'geeks' by out of school clubs and the 'geniuses' with some competitions.

Do not fret – HR is the vibrant profession

Arnaud Henneville says:

Good point Dean, I myself wrote a paper on HR & Analytics. Please find it here and hope it will trigger an interesting discussion on the topic of 'execution'. https://challengera.com/hr-just-grabbed-a-seat-at-the-table/ Best Arnaud

Gen Y women to break glass ceiling before men, says whitepaper

Geraldine Gallacher says:

Interesting to note that Gen Y women scoring high on social confidence in this survey and yet often get marked down for this in more male environments. I think their more self-deprecating style gets misread as lacking confidence.

Harvey Nichols' people management secrets

deepa says:

Love the Article, i'm excited to start my career with such a prestigious brand. Looking forward to learning everything and giving my best back!

Lucy Adams and the school of hard knocks

Jon Ingham says:

I'd agree with Rob that there are bad cases of HR denial around. But I think the more serious issue is that so many HR people have got relativly minor cases - not so acute but across the entire HR community much more damaging. My suggested remedy is gaining a clearer understanding of why people are the most important asset, and what the consequences of this are which comes from a focus on the organisation value chain: http://www.joningham.com/advice/hr-generates-most-value-in-the-organisation-value-chain

'Misconceptions' prevent food and drink industry attracting STEM skills

Michelle Slater says:

I agree, the way forward is to educate students about the industry. I work on behalf of one of the country's top Grammar schools forging links with companies to help our students understand and access the best opportunities. We're open to discussion with any food or drink company that wants to discuss a collaboration in this area.

In this issue: October 2014
fragment image

Grow influence: Who has made the HR Most Influential 2014 lists? We reveal all inside

Looking good: Beautiful HR at Estee Lauder

Back to the drawing board: Is HR more art than science?

Forward thinking: Futureproof your technology strategy

MA Business & Leisure Limited © Copyright 2014, All Rights Reserved